Associates in Professional Counseling has several certified addiction counselors on staff that are trained in the identification and treatment of compulsive behavior problems such as: Substance Abuse, Sexual Addiction, Gambling, Eating Disorders and Spending.
Substance Abuse (Drugs and Alcohol)
APC is licensed by the state of Illinois through the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse (OASA) to provide evaluations and treatment services. Our certified substance abuse specialists:
- identify issues that underlie or contribute to the addictive behavior
- developing lifestyle changes and coping strategies to remain free from the addiction
- empowering our clients to understand their addiction
- identifying and restoring the areas of their life that have been negatively impacted
We provide services for the family members and loved ones affected by another’s substance abuse or addiction. Our programs provide individual and group therapy services to adults and adolescents. We also provide evaluations for employers and the Illinois Secretary of State.
APC offers a broad spectrum of sexual addiction therapies treating issues from pornography to compulsive sexual behaviors.
The complicated issues of sexual addiction require multi-strategy approaches, available for both addict and spouse, in individual or couples sessions. Components of the therapy can include:
- a thorough assessment with testing
- processing issues such as denial, personal and relational turmoil
- coordination with local recovery groups
- set-up and implementation of a recovery plan
Treatment emphasizes education regarding the addictive cycle, rituals, rebuilding marital trust and understanding the path to recovery. It promotes honesty and hope through a frank, yet compassionate approach, to helping addicted persons relate constructively to self, others, the environment and our God.
APC offers counseling to adults and adolescents suffering from a range of eating disorders including anorexia, bulimia or compulsive overeating. Treatment includes:
- identifying and addressing the underlying issues such as distorted body image and lowered self-esteem
- developing a healthy relationship between food, eating and emotions.
- discontinuing the disordered eating and developing healthy eating patterns.
APC counselors coordinate services with medical personnel such as nutritionists or physicians when appropriate to the individual’s care.
Compulsive gambling is a disease, like alcoholism, that can take over one’s life leading to financial, relationship and emotional problems for the individual and family. APC uses several different therapies that will effectively help overcome gambling addictions. APC provides counseling to both those individuals suffering from a gambling addiction and their families who are affected by this behavior.