Associates in Professional Counseling has several certified addiction counselors on staff that are trained in the identification and treatment of compulsive behavior problems such as: Substance Abuse, Sexual Addiction, Gambling, Eating Disorders and Spending.
Substance Abuse (Drugs and Alcohol)
APC provides services to individuals suffering from a variety of compulsive behavior difficulties. Our certified substance abuse specialists:
- identify the factors that trigger the desire to use the substance
- develop strategies to manage these triggers
- identify the issues that underlie or contribute to the addictive behavior
- develop lifestyle changes and coping strategies to remain free from the addiction
- empowering our clients to understand their addiction
- identify and restore the areas of their life that have been negatively impacted
We provide services for the family members and loved ones affected by another’s substance abuse or addiction. Our programs provide individual and group therapy services to adults and adolescents. APC is licensed by the state of Illinois through the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse (OASA) to provide evaluations and treatment services.
APC offers a broad spectrum of sexual addiction therapies treating issues from pornography to compulsive sexual behaviors.
The complicated issues of sexual addiction require multi-strategy approaches, available for both addict and spouse, in individual or couples sessions. Components of the therapy can include:
- a thorough assessment with testing
- processing issues such as denial, personal and relational turmoil
- coordination with local recovery groups
- set-up and implementation of a recovery plan
Treatment emphasizes education regarding the addictive cycle, rituals, rebuilding marital trust and understanding the path to recovery. It promotes honesty and hope through a frank, yet compassionate approach, to helping addicted persons relate constructively to self, others, the environment and our God.
APC offers counseling to adults and adolescents suffering from a range of eating disorders including anorexia, bulimia or compulsive overeating. Treatment includes:
- identifying and addressing the underlying issues such as distorted body image and lowered self-esteem
- developing a healthy relationship between food, eating and emotions.
- discontinuing the disordered eating and developing healthy eating patterns.
APC counselors coordinate services with medical personnel such as nutritionists or physicians when appropriate to the individual’s care.
In today’s world, problem use of opioids such as pain medications and heroin is becoming widespread. APC offers education and counseling services for individuals suffering from their or a loved one’s use of these substances. Relapse with opioids is common due to the difficulty and unpleasantness of the withdrawal from these substances and the urges and cravings often experienced. APC therapists have physician resources to refer a client for medication to assist in the withdrawal process and minimize the cravings. Counseling along with the use of medications, when appropriate, improves the odds for a successful recovery from these substances.
Like drugs and alcohol, certain behaviors, if compulsively engaged in, can develop into an addiction: These are called process addictions. Process addictions, like drug and alcohol addictions, create chemical changes in the brain and can produce a rewarding “high” type of feeling. It is the process of engaging in the behavior that triggers these pleasurable feelings.
The APC certified substance abuse specialist are all experienced in working with the various process addictions, including:
- Shopping and Spending